Community Chest of Durham newspaper clippings
Scope and Contents
The Community Chest of Durham Collection, 1934-1953, includes newspaper clippings describing the activities of the organization. The Community Chest implemented fund drives to support agencies that served the community. It received donations from large corporate contributors as well as individual citizens.
- 1934 - 1953
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Community Chests, commonly referred to as community trusts, community foundations and united way organizations, are endowment funds pooled from a community for the purpose of charitable giving.The first Community Chest, "Community Fund", was founded in 1913 in Cleveland, Ohio, by the Federation for Charity and Philanthropy.The number of Community Chest organizations increased from 39 to 353 between 1919 and 1929, and surpassed 1,000 by 1948. By 1963, and after several name changes, the term "United Way" was adopted in the United States. Specific information about the Community Chest of Durham is unknown.
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Finding Aid for the Community Chest of Durham Newspaper Clippings
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description