Billy Stevens papers
Scope and Contents
The collection is primarily composed of material from the Sallam Cultural Center. Documents represent the center's work in promoting the region's blues and jazz music, producing concerts, and club management. Material includes calendars, flyers, menus, recipes, correspondence, and a club floorplan. There are several Author Party flyers from the Regulator Bookshop, including one for Senator Al Gore.
- 1979 - 1983
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Billy Stevens is a musician, lecturer, and scholar of blues and rock and roll music. Stevens currently sits on the North Carolina Humanities Council as a lecturer and musician, and has toured the world extensively performing and teaching with the State Department's US Information Agency. In the 1970s, Stevens co-founded the Sallam Cultural Center in Durham along with Brother Yusuf Salim and Roger Tygard. The Sallam Cultural Center was a non-profit organization that promoted the blues and jazz music of North Carolina's Piedmont. It maintained a calendar of musical acts at its 1101 West Chapel Hill Street club, partnered with area and regional venues in concert production, screened underground and international films, and served a then-exotic menu featuring vegetarian and East Indian food. Around this time Stevens was part of a self-described "variety entertainment group," the Red Herring, and the Sunnyside Harpbreakers.
.15 Linear Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
This material is in original order.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Billy Stevens
- Blues (Music) Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Community life -- North Carolina -- Durham Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Durham (N.C.) -- History Subject Source: Local sources
- Jazz Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Performing arts Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Regulator Bookshop (Durham, N.C.)
- Salim, Yusuf, 1929-2008
- Finding Aid for the Billy Stevens Papers
- Barbara Ilie
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Edition statement
- Processed by Barbara Ilie
- Gift Agreement