Eno River Association mailings and publications
Scope and Contents
The collection documents member mailings and publications by the Eno River Association between 1973 and 1980 that illustrate the efforts of the organization of local environmentalists to organize community supporters during the 1970s to join efforts such as work days, hikes, clean ups, and fundraisers, along with supporting establishing an Eno River state park. The collection helps illustrate how the association enacted its goals of "land protection, land stewardship, education, [and] advocacy."
- 1973 - 1980
- Association for the Preservation of the Eno River Valley (Organization)
This collection is open for research.
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Formed in October 1966 as the Association for the Preservation of the Eno River Valley, Inc., the Eno River Association fought plans by the city of Durham to dam the river for the city's water supply. The Association allied with the Nature Conservancy and recommended to North Carolina's Board of Conservation and Development in 1972 that the river be protected. This later led to privately purchased acreage along the river being donated to the association. Working with the Nature Conservancy, the city of Durham, Orange County and the state of North Carolina, the association was able to bring about Eno River state park designation in 1973. The Eno River Association has also organized the Festival for the Eno, an annual celebration and benefit with performers and craft activities held at the West Point on the Eno park over the July 4th holiday since 1980. Further information can be found at their website: www.enoriver.org.
Language of Materials
Physical Access Restrictions
Some of our materials are stored offsite. These items are not available for same day access and require advance notice to retrieve. Contact North Carolina Collection staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to plan your visit.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Bill King
The name of this collection was changed in Summer 2022. Boxes and folders in the collection may be labeled with the previous name, which was Eno River Association Records. The current title should be used when referring to or citing the collection.
- Association for the Preservation of the Eno River Valley
- Citizens' associations -- North Carolina -- Durham Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Community activists Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Community organization -- North Carolina -- Durham Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservation of natural resources -- Citizen participation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservation of natural resources -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Environmentalists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- King, William E. (William Eskridge), 1939- (Donor, Person)
- Finding Aid for the Eno River Association Mailings and Publications
- 2018 October 24
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2012: Amy McDonald
- 2019 July: Finding aid migrated to ArchivesSpace by Beth Morris Weiss.
- Gift Agreement
Part of the North Carolina Collection Archives Repository
300 N. Roxboro Street
Durham NC 27701 United States