1938 Scarboro's Grocery receipt
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a receipt listing 13 items purchased by Willis Holloway on May 21, 1938 from Scarboro's Grocery at 1000 9th Street. The preprinted text on the reverse of the receipt illustrates the credit policy by which grocery customers were able to be billed for food purchases in the 1930s.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Floyd Wright ran a grocery between 1926 and 1930 on a corner of Ninth Street and West Knox Street, which was then later owned and operated by Dewey S. Scarboro, who served as a Durham county commissioner from 1950 to 1980. Scarboro lived at 1006 Ninth Street and his grocery was frequented by students from E.K. Powe Elementary School for close to 40 years. The masonry building which housed the grocery from 1947 later housed Wellspring Grocery from 1981 until 1986, the Magnolia Grill restaurant from November 1986 until May 31, 2012, and later Monuts bakery.
.08 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Sandi Haithcock and Carmella Blakney
The receipt is ripped in several places and housed in a mylar sleeve.
- Community life -- North Carolina -- Durham Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Grocery shopping -- North Carolina -- Durham -- History Subject Source: Local sources
- Grocery trade -- North Carolina -- Durham -- History Subject Source: Local sources
- Finding Aid for 1938 Scarboro's Grocery Receipt
- Various processors.
- November 14, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- Various processors. Updated by Amy McDonald, 2012; Beth Morris Weiss, 2019.