Bethesda Elementary School photographs
Scope and Contents
The collection contains class photos and historic photographs from Bethesda Elementary School in Durham, NC.
- Creation: 1971
- Creation: 2011 - 2013
- Creation: undated
The collection is open for research.
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Bethesda School was first opened around 1900 in a one-room building off Highway 70 in southeast Durham. Over the next decade it was moved to two different buildings in the same area and then expanded, and in 1925 the school moved to a location across the highway. By the 1950s Bethesda School occupied about 48 acres and housed a grammar school and a high school. In 1957 the high school classes transferred to the newly constructed Southern High School and other area schools, converting Bethesda to an elementary school. It was run by the Durham County school system until the merger of the county and school systems in 1992, and is now part of the Durham Public Schools system.
Language of Materials
Folders are arranged alphabetically.
Physical Access Restrictions
Some of our materials are stored offsite. These items are not available for same day access and require advance notice to retrieve. Contact North Carolina Collection staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to plan your visit.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The name of this collection was changed in Summer 2022. Boxes and folders in the collection may be labeled with the previous name, which was Bethesda Elementary School Records. The current title should be used when referring to or citing the collection.
- Finding Aid for the Bethesda Elementary School Photographs
- Jamie Patrick-Burns
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2019 July: Finding aid migrated to ArchivesSpace by Stephanie Barnwell.