Sadie Blacknall papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of two scrapbooks created by Sadie Blacknall between 1875 and 1933 and two ledgers used in the office of her brother-in-law J. R. Blacknall, the first sheriff of Durham County.
- 1875 - 1933
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Sadie Fuller Blount Blacknall (1862-1933) grew up in Durham, the daughter of R.H.J. Blount and his wife Sarah E. Blount. In 1881 she married Richard Doak “Dick” Blacknall (1847-1900), the first pharmacist in Durham. Richard Doak Blacknall was the son of Dr. Richard Blacknall (1809-1881), a physician. Together they established Blacknall’s Drugstore, which stood on North Corcoran Street from its establishment in 1873 until it was destroyed by fire in 1914. Blacknall’s Drugstore moved into the new building constructed after the fire at the same location. The company remained a tenant until 1932, when it moved west on West Main Street and became Durham Drug Company, which existed until 1986. Sadie and Richard Doak Blacknall were prominent members of the Presbyterian Church. Richard, his father, and brother established the Presbyterian congregation in West Durham in 1892 as a mission, based from First Presbyterian downtown. This collection also contains the ledgers of James “JR” Blacknall (1843-1923), Richard Doak Blacknall’s brother, who became the first sheriff of Durham in 1881.
2 Linear Feet (2 flat boxes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Anonymous through Steve Massengill
- Finding Aid for the Sadie Blacknall Papers
- Lori Neumeier
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Edition statement
- Lori Neumeier