Robert Blake photographs
Scope and Contents
This collection includes over 1,000 photographs taken by Blake between 1945 and 1998 for inspiration for his drawings and paintings. Most of the photographs are black and white and feature rural scenes in Durham County, particularly tobacco barns in various stages of decay. There are also photographs of locations around downtown Durham, as well as images of tobacco being harvested, prepared for curing, and sold at the Liberty Warehouse auctions.
- 1944-2001, undated
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Robert (Bob) Blake was born on December 24, 1916, in New Jersey and moved to Durham in 1942. A Duke Hospital employee for 42 years, his last position was as head of medical illustration in the Division of Audio-Visual Education. His illustrations appear in over 50 textbooks and approximately 500 scientific articles in medical journals. He was also a well-known watercolor artist and a founding member of the Durham Allied Art Guild, averaging 60 paintings a year until 2008. He died in Durham on December 30, 2014, at the age of 98.
7 Linear Feet (7 album boxes, 1 file folder)
Language of Materials
The collection is organized into two main, format-based series: Artwork and Photographs. The Photograph series is further divided into subseries based on the topics of Downtown Durham, Eno River, Rural Durham, Tobacco, and Unknown locations.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Kennard Blake
- Dwellings -- North Carolina -- Durham County Subject Source: Local sources
- Historic buildings -- North Carolina -- Durham Subject Source: Local sources
- Photography -- North Carolina -- Durham Subject Source: Local sources
- Rural churches -- North Carolina -- Durham County Subject Source: Local sources
- Tobacco barns -- North Carolina -- Durham County Subject Source: Local sources
- Tobacco farms -- North Carolina -- Durham County Subject Source: Local sources
- Finding Aid for the Robert Blake Photographs
- Kristen Merryman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- Kristen Merryman
- Gift Agreement
Part of the North Carolina Collection Archives Repository
300 N. Roxboro Street
Durham NC 27701 United States