E. S. Swindell papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes a 1956 appraisal report of the former Durham County Sanitarium with photographs of the exterior and interior, what appear to be records of late 1950's donations from county employees including Swindell, a 1974 plan for Durham City Hall, and a 1979 letter from health department employees requesting Swindell's assistance. Photos scanned as SA001-SA018.
- Majority of material found within 1954 - 1979
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Edmund Slade Swindell, Jr. worked as county manager through three decades from 1949 to 1984. The Durham tuberculosis sanitarium was approved by ballot measure by Durham citizens in 1943 or 1944, more than 15 years after the city commisioners voted in 1923 and 1927 to establish a sanitarium, and was operating at 2400 Broad Street in 1946. From 1950 to the 1977, the WTVD television station and studios were located in the building.
.08 Linear Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- County government -- North Carolina -- Durham -- History Subject Source: Local sources
- County officials and employees -- North Carolina -- Durham Subject Source: Local sources
- Durham (N.C.) -- History Subject Source: Local sources
- Durham (N.C.) -- Politics and government Subject Source: Local sources
- Finding Aid for the E.S. Swindell papers
- Various processors.
- January 19, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Edition statement
- Various processors. Updated by Amy McDonald, 2012; Beth Morris Weiss, 2019.
Part of the North Carolina Collection Archives Repository
300 N. Roxboro Street
Durham NC 27701 United States