Durham Civic Center Proposal speech
The collection consists of Whichard's April 1982 speech beginning with a brief chronology from January 1980 of the Downtown Durham Development Corporation's path to plans for a hotel and civic center complex in downtown Durham and his calculations of economic benefits from such a hotel and civic center complex in order to advocate for the proposed $10.5 million bond needed for construction.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Willis P. Whichard, born May 24, 1940, served in the North Carolina House and Senate, and as one of the associate justices of the North Carolina State Supreme Court from 1986 to 1998.
.08 Linear Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Willis P. Whichard
- City planning -- North Carolina -- Durham Subject Source: Local sources
- Downtown Development Association -- North Carolina -- Durham Subject Source: Local sources
- Durham (N.C.) -- History Subject Source: Local sources
- Finding Aid for the Durham Civic Center Proposal speech
- Beth Morris Weiss
- April 6, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Edition statement
- Updated by Stephanie Barnwell, 2021.