Mrs. S. F. Tomlinson death notices
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a stapled seven page booklet with three reprinted newspaper obituaries titled "Press Notices on the Death of Mrs. S. F. Tomlinson."
- 1905 March
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Mrs. S.F. Tomlinson, full name Angeline Josephine Lawrence Tomlinson, was born in Massachusetts on July 8, 1842, and resided in Raleigh where her husband Samuel Finley Tomlinson (1840-1920) was the superintendent of the Deaf and Dumb Institution prior to their move to Durham in 1871. She was a member of the lady board of managers of Watts Hospital and Durham's public library. She died on March 4, 1905. The Tomlinsons resided at 512 Morehead, in the Morehead Hill neighborhood, and their home was built between 1885 and 1910 and demolished between 1960 and 1978. Major Tomlinson was one of the owners of the R.F. Morris Tobacco Company in Durham. The son-in-law of Mrs. S. F. Tomlinson, Gilbert C. White, resided in his in-laws' home around 1907 to 1908 when he consulted on problems with Durham's sewer system, designed a new water system, worked as a city engineer and consulted as a civil engineer around 1923.
.08 Linear Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Finding Aid for the Mrs. S. F. Tomlinson death notices
- Various processors
- January 26, 2019
- Description rules
- Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Edition statement
- Various processors. Updated by Amy McDonald, 2012; Beth Morris Weiss, 2019.