Durham-Duke Club records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains typed club minutes from 1935 to 1939 taken by various club secretaries, with a first page paragraph on club's founding signed by "Dante J. Germino, Sec." and 11 slides in black and white of an undated parade (ca. 1930s) organized by the club for Duke University’s homecoming weekend.
- 1935 - 1979
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Durham businessman Edward L. Cannon, president of the Duke Alumni of Durham formed a club of fellow Durham businessmen and Duke University supporters. The first meeting of seven or eight attendees was held in the Fountain Room at the Washington Duke Inn on April 16, 1935. Later meetings were held at a barbecue restaurant on Cole Mill Road at Huckleberry Springs, leading to a nickname of the Huckleberry Alumni Group.
.08 Linear Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Clubs -- North Carolina -- Durham -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Duke University -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Local sources
- Finding Aid for the Durham-Duke Club Records
- January 19, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- Various processors. Updated by Amy McDonald, 2012; Beth Morris Weiss, 2019; Stephanie Barnwell, 2021.
Part of the North Carolina Collection Archives Repository
300 N. Roxboro Street
Durham NC 27701 United States