Durham Real Estate Magazine collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of issues from 1957 and 1958 of two different magazines relating to real estate in Durham: Ideas for Better Living, distributed by Security Savings and Loan Association, and Your Home Planner, distributed by the Durham Board of Realtors.
The magazines give a glimpse into the latest architectural styles popular among the middle class in Durham in the late 1950s. They contain articles about different house styles, sample floor plans, how to decorate one's home, or care for one's lawn. In addition, the magazines feature many advertisements for real estate and architecture-related vendors in Durham, many of whom no longer exist.
- 1957 - 1958
This collection is open for research.
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Language of Materials
The collection is organized by magazine title and, within that, chronologically.
Physical Access Restrictions
Some of our materials are stored offsite. These items are not available for same day access and require advance notice to retrieve. Contact North Carolina Collection staff at email@example.com to plan your visit.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Katrina Weaver
- Real estate development -- North Carolina -- Durham Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Real estate development -- United States -- Periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Durham Real Estate Magazine Collection
- Kristen Merryman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021 January: Finding aid migrated to ArchivesSpace by Stephanie Barnwell.