Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
The collection consists of Whichard's April 1982 speech beginning with a brief chronology from January 1980 of the Downtown Durham Development Corporation's path to plans for a hotel and civic center complex in downtown Durham and his calculations of economic benefits from such a hotel and civic center complex in order to advocate for the proposed $10.5 million bond needed for construction.
This collection includes slides that depict buildings in downtown Durham from the 1950s to the 1990s. These photographs were taken by Rogers and show how the streetscape changed during this fifty year period. There are many images of buildings that have since been destroyed, and some photos even show buildings just after demolition.
- Subject: City planning -- North Carolina -- Durham X
- Central business districts -- North Carolina -- Durham 2
- Durham (N.C.) -- History 2
- Downtown Development Association -- North Carolina -- Durham 1
- Hayti (Durham, N.C.) -- History 1
- Historic buildings -- North Carolina -- Durham 1
- Urban renewal -- North Carolina -- Durham 1 + ∧ less
- Redevelopment Commission of the City of Durham (N.C.) 1
- Whichard, Willis P. 1