Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
The collection contains a receipt listing 13 items purchased by Willis Holloway on May 21, 1938 from Scarboro's Grocery at 1000 9th Street. The preprinted text on the reverse of the receipt illustrates the credit policy by which grocery customers were able to be billed for food purchases in the 1930s.
This collection contains clippings, subject files, printed materials, postcards, scrapbooks and miscellaneous manuscropts, ephemera, and artifacts collected by Dallas W. Newsom, Durham county manager in 1930s and 1940s, and his daughter, civic leader and local historian and preservationist Dorothy Newsom Rankin.
This collection is primarily composed of promotional materials and newspaper articles related to Yusuf Salim, known as Brother Yusuf, a Durham resident and musician. Many of the items are related to 2004 and 2007 concerts in his honor. It also contains memorials and articles written about Brother Yusuf after his death in 2008, a few photographs, a vinyl record, and one chapter of a memoir Yusuf wrote.
The collection consists of five black and white prints of photographs of downtown Durham taken in fall 1976 by Bob Lancaster for Southern Living magazine.
The collection is primarily composed of material from the Sallam Cultural Center. Documents represent the center's work in promoting the region's blues and jazz music, producing concerts, and club management. Material includes calendars, flyers, menus, recipes, correspondence, and a club floorplan. There are several Author Party flyers from the Regulator Bookshop, including one for Senator Al Gore.
This collection includes photographs taken at the Lyon Park Community Center and at "We Are West End" reunions in the 1990s and photographs of Elite Club teams from Lyon Park, including the softball and baseball teams from the 1940s and 1950s. There is also a folder of materials relating to the history of Lyon Park School that date from 2003, when the Community Family Life Center at Lyon Park opened. Notes from an oral history done with Womble in 2006 are also included in the collection.
- Subject: Community life -- North Carolina -- Durham X
- Citizens' associations -- North Carolina -- Durham 2
- Durham (N.C.) -- History 2
- African American baseball players 1
- Arts -- North Carolina -- Durham 1
- Blues (Music) 1
- County government -- North Carolina -- Durham -- History 1
- Durham County (N.C.) -- Economic conditions 1
- Durham County (N.C.) -- Politics and government 1
- Durham morning herald 1
- Durham sun 1
- Grocery shopping -- North Carolina -- Durham -- History 1
- Grocery trade -- North Carolina -- Durham -- History 1
- Historic buildings -- North Carolina -- Durham 1
- Housing development -- North Carolina -- Durham 1
- Jazz 1
- Low-income housing -- North Carolina -- Durham 1
- Musicians -- North Carolina -- Durham 1
- Negro leagues 1
- Performing arts 1 + ∧ less
- Salim, Yusuf, 1929-2008 2
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina 1
- Choral Society of Durham 1
- Cranford, H. C. (Henry Clay), 1920-2004 1
- Crovitz, Elaine 1
- Duke University. Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development 1
- Housing Authority of the City of Durham (N.C.) 1
- Newsom, D. W. (Dallas Walton), 1873-1949 1
- People's Alliance PAC (Durham, N.C.) 1
- Preiss, Jack J., 1919-2019 1
- Rankin, Dorothy Newsom 1
- Regulator Bookshop (Durham, N.C.) 1
- Robinson, Battle Rankin, 1938- 1
- Southern Conservatory of Music (Durham, N.C.) 1
- Watts Hospital (Durham, N.C.) 1 + ∧ less