Showing Collections: 31 - 60 of 166
This collection includes bonds for renting stalls to sell meat, fish, and agricultural products throughout Durham. The bonds bear signatures -- sometimes an “x” for illiterate persons -- of individuals renting stalls and date from 1886 and 1921. Stall renters included both whites and African Americans, although the race of individuals is not provided in the records.
The collection consists solely of a membership application card from the Durham Civic Association listing cost of memberships (annual $1, sustaining $5, life $50), to whom to apply, and the officers (president Mrs. T.D. Jones, vice-president Mrs. I.F. Hill, secretary Mrs. G.C. White, treasurer Mrs. S. W. Tucker).
The collection consists of Whichard's April 1982 speech beginning with a brief chronology from January 1980 of the Downtown Durham Development Corporation's path to plans for a hotel and civic center complex in downtown Durham and his calculations of economic benefits from such a hotel and civic center complex in order to advocate for the proposed $10.5 million bond needed for construction.
Meeting minutes, administrative and financial materials, correspondence, and clippings document the activities of the Durham Council on Alcoholism from its founding in 1958 through 1988, although the bulk of materials date from the 1970s through the early 1980s. A small number of photographs of the organization’s leadership is included.
The Durham County Extension Service Photograph Collection consists of 32 photographs of work done by the Extension Service in the 1920s through 1940s. All of the images can be viewed online here: https://dur.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/default/search/results?qu=Durham+County+Extension+Services&te=ASSET
The collection includes slides and photographs of Durham County commissioners, services and buildings, including many schools in the Durham City School system before the county and city school system merged. The collection also includes photographs and slides from the Old North Durham Neighborhood Improvement Project and work done by the nonprofit organization Neighborhood Housing Services in the late 1970s and 1980s to renovate houses and apartment buildings in Old North Durham.
The collection contains brochures, member and officers lists, meeting announcements, newsletters, a directory of Durham County librarians, and other materials related to the Durham County Library Association.
This collection contains materials related to the history of the public library in Durham, North Carolina. The materials date from 1897, a year before the first public library in the state opened in Durham, to the present. Much of the material is from the more recent past, with the bulk between 1960 and the present. Besides written materials, the archives also contain photos, slides, newspaper articles, and recordings.
Both registers list taxpayer names and payments. The 1936 register is organized by township. Townships include Durham, Carr, Cedar Fork, Lebanon, Mangum, Oak Grove, and Patterson. The undated register is organized into city and surrounding township records. Both registers have separate sections for white and colored taxpayers.
The collection consists of a tax notebook with entries from 1927-1962 and which appears to have been kept by one or more tax supervisors of Durham County. The notebook compiles yearly real estate and property valuations, budgetary information, and tax collections, many of which are itemized by race. Also included are notes from 1991 pertaining to a departmental work session.
The collection contains typed club minutes from 1935 to 1939 taken by various club secretaries, with a first page paragraph on club's founding signed by "Dante J. Germino, Sec." and 11 slides in black and white of an undated parade (ca. 1930s) organized by the club for Duke University’s homecoming weekend.
Set of posters handwritten by Joe McGowan in 1976 that details the history of the Elks in North Carolina, including the Durham lodge, as well as a listing of all the birth and death dates of all the members from 1900 to 1976, which includes many well known Durham names. There is also a history of the Amos and Andy radio program, which was broadcast from Durham and was started by two Elks members.
The Durham Health Council Records consist of meeting minutes, correspondence, and reports produced by the Health Council between its inception in 1982 and dissolution in 1986.
The collection consists of 11 advertisements for the Durham Hosiery Mill from 1918 to 1921, featuring the socks made at the mill. The advertisements were run in the Saturday Evening Post and the Ladies Home Journal. The postcard in the collection depicts the mill's exterior. The collection offers a look at how products from Durham were advertised nationally in the late 1910s and early 1920s.
This collection includes one scrapbook prepared by the Durham Merchants’ Association with newspaper clippings from the 1950s, mostly concerning the activities of the Association.
The collection consists of a four page program for the March 1937 Vocal Ensemble Recital at the Durham Senior High School, including songs performed by the girls' ensemble, boys' ensemble, and the mixed ensemble. Fourteen local businesses advertise in the program and the cover reads "proceeds for Columbia Expenses."
The East Cedar Grove Missionary Baptist Association Records consists of correspondence, minutes, roll books, yearbooks, booklets, bulletins, calendars, programs, and photographs that document the events, finances, history, and meetings of an organization of Missionary Baptist churches in Durham, Granville, Orange, Person, and Wake Counties in central North Carolina.
This collection is primarily composed of articles, notes, petitions, memoranda, timelines, and songs related to nuclear energy, specifically the Coalition for Alternatives to Shearon Harris (CASH), the Conservation Council of North Carolina, the North Carolina Utilities Commission, and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Most of the material in the collection is dated from 1986 and 1987. More recent articles and correspondence from 1996, 2010, and 2011 cover a range of topics.
The Edgemont Community Slides are a set of 22 slides taken in 1971 of the Edgemont community in Durham. Businesses and residences are pictured in the slides.
- Durham (N.C.) -- History 24
- Community life -- North Carolina -- Durham 13
- Public schools -- North Carolina -- Durham 12
- Durham (N.C.) -- Social life and customs 11
- Citizens' associations -- North Carolina -- Durham 8
- Durham County (N.C.) -- Politics and government 8
- Education -- North Carolina -- Durham 7
- Historic buildings -- North Carolina -- Durham 7
- Women -- Societies and clubs 7
- County government -- North Carolina -- Durham -- History 5
- Durham (N.C.) -- Politics and government 5
- Durham County (N.C.) -- History 5
- Elementary schools -- North Carolina -- Durham 5
- Women -- North Carolina -- Durham 5
- World War, 1939-1945 5
- Clubs -- North Carolina -- Durham -- History 4
- Community organization -- North Carolina -- Durham 4
- Political campaigns -- North Carolina 4
- Public schools -- North Carolina -- Durham County 4
- African Americans -- Segregation 3 + ∧ less
- Carr, Julian Shakespeare 2
- Durham High School (Durham, N.C) 2
- Durham Hosiery Mills (Durham, N.C.) 2
- Gulley, Wib 2
- Oak Grove Elementary School 2
- People's Alliance PAC (Durham, N.C.) 2
- Preservation Durham (Organization) 2
- Regulator Bookshop (Durham, N.C.) 2
- Salim, Yusuf, 1929-2008 2
- Schewel, Stephen Matthew, 1951- 2
- Trinity College (Durham, N.C.) 2
- Watts Hospital (Durham, N.C.) 2
- Whichard, Willis P. 2
- Anderson, Jean Bradley 1
- Association for the Preservation of the Eno River Valley 1
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina 1
- Choral Society of Durham 1
- Cranford, H. C. (Henry Clay), 1920-2004 1
- Crovitz, Elaine 1
- Debutante Ball Society of Durham (N.C.) 1 + ∧ less