Durham (N.C.) -- History
Found in 23 Collections and/or Records:
The Durham Centennial 1953 Scrapbook, spanning from February 9, 1952 to March 2, 1955, includes newspaper clippings, a program and schedule of events, memorabilia, and meeting minutes from the Durham Centennial and Historical Commission. The celebration occurred April 26 through May 2, 1953 and included parades, a ball, performances, agricultural displays, and various other events.
The collection consists solely of a membership application card from the Durham Civic Association listing cost of memberships (annual $1, sustaining $5, life $50), to whom to apply, and the officers (president Mrs. T.D. Jones, vice-president Mrs. I.F. Hill, secretary Mrs. G.C. White, treasurer Mrs. S. W. Tucker).
The collection consists of Whichard's April 1982 speech beginning with a brief chronology from January 1980 of the Downtown Durham Development Corporation's path to plans for a hotel and civic center complex in downtown Durham and his calculations of economic benefits from such a hotel and civic center complex in order to advocate for the proposed $10.5 million bond needed for construction.
The Durham County Extension Service Photograph Collection consists of 32 photographs of work done by the Extension Service in the 1920s through 1940s. All of the images can be viewed online here: https://dur.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/default/search/results?qu=Durham+County+Extension+Services&te=ASSET
The collection consists of a sixteen-page booklet with a tied thread binding from a memorial program for Laura Valinda Watts. The booklet includes a glossy photo page with an overlay page of tissue or vellum and measures 6.5 by 9.5 inches.
The collection consists of a letter thanking Fuller for hosting Lewis for an October 3, 1920 visit to Durham where he was introduced to Edgemont residents in hopes of him later establishing a church with them, and requesting Fuller issue a formal call for Lewis if so desired, so he could consider coming to Durham instead of Presbyterian mission work.
The collection contains a program listing evening and matinee entertainment acts for the April 1931 "Merchants and Manufacturers Exposition, Under Auspices of American Legion, Durham Post No. 7" and the 65 participating local businesses.
This collection includes slides that depict buildings in downtown Durham from the 1950s to the 1990s. These photographs were taken by Rogers and show how the streetscape changed during this fifty year period. There are many images of buildings that have since been destroyed, and some photos even show buildings just after demolition.
The collection contains what appears to be a mimeograph copy of a typed two-page January 11, 1899 letter from Rose Brothers, Engineers in Gainsborough, England to R.H. Wright, Esq. in London.
The collection consists of a Western Union telegram sent by Mary Semans on August 3, 1959 to Frank Kenan, care of County Commissioners Office in Durham, North Carolina, instructing Kenan to go "on record" that the commissioner's office did not want passenger trains discontinued on the Southern Railway. Also included is the telegram's envelope with note written by Kenan.
The collection is primarily composed of material from the Sallam Cultural Center. Documents represent the center's work in promoting the region's blues and jazz music, producing concerts, and club management. Material includes calendars, flyers, menus, recipes, correspondence, and a club floorplan. There are several Author Party flyers from the Regulator Bookshop, including one for Senator Al Gore.
The collection includes a 1956 appraisal report of the former Durham County Sanitarium with photographs of the exterior and interior, what appear to be records of late 1950's donations from county employees including Swindell, a 1974 plan for Durham City Hall, and a 1979 letter from health department employees requesting Swindell's assistance. Photos scanned as SA001-SA018.
The Twaddell Music School Collection contains photographs, clippings, and miscellaneous material related to the lives and careers of William P. Twaddell and wife Vera Carr Twaddell and a music school which Mrs. Twaddell operated in Durham from 1934 to 1966.